Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some frequently asked questions about the WiscAd program. For other questions or concerns, please contact us here, or at (715) 246-6555.

Q: Is the WiscAd   Program approved by the Department of Public Instruction?

A: WiscAd is a DPI approved alternative route to administration certification program. Students who successfully complete this licensed based equivalency program will be eligible for one of the following Wisconsin administrator certifications:

  • School Business Administrator
  • Director of Instruction
  • Director of Special Education
  • Principal
  • Superintendent

Q: How does the WiscAd   Program differ from a traditional graduate-level educator preparation program?

A: WiscAd is an accelerated program with most participants completing in 12 months. Students are enrolled in a cohort (stay with the same classmates) for the first two semesters of program coursework. Classes are offered on weekends to accommodate busy work schedules.

Q:  Will I need to purchase any textbooks?

A:  The WiscAd program may require books to be purchased and used in class.  These books are normally for a nominal amount and are practical and relevant to the WiscAd certification areas.

Q: How often does the cohort/class meet?

A: The cohort/class meets three times during a semester. To look for the upcoming schedule refer to the calendar posted on the website.

Semester I
3 weekends of face-to-face classes held on Friday night from 6:30 pm-9:30 pm and Saturday 8:00 am - 3:00 pm.

Semester II
3 weekends of face-to-face classes held on Friday night from 6:30 pm-9:30 pm and Saturday 8:00 am - 3:00 pm.

Semester III
Practicum Experience - Students collaborate with a cooperating administrator at a district determined by the student. The administrator must be licensed in the area the student is seeking certification.

Semester IV (Optional)
Practicum Experience for second certification area  - Students collaborate with a cooperating administrator at a district determined by the student. The administrator must be licensed in the area the student is seeking certification.

Attendance is required for the above 6 weekends over the course of two semesters.

Q: Where are classes held?

A: Classes are held at a  location in central Wisconsin (Stevens Point area). A reduced room rate is extended to students attending class. Refer to specific upcoming class schedule information.

Q: Can I start any semester?

A: A new cohort starts every semester (January through April, May through August, and September through December) so classes can are offered three times throughout the year and can be taken in order.

Q: How many graduate credits can I earn?

A: Semester I = 3 graduate credits

Semester II = 3 graduate credits

Semester III = 3 graduate credits

Total  = 9 graduate credits (for one certification)

Optional - Semester IV = 3 graduate credits

Total = 12 graduate credits (for two certification areas)

Q: Can I obtain  a Master's Degree?

A: The WiscAd program partners with St. Mary's University to offer graduate credit. A candidate earns  9  graduate credits for one certification area and 12 graduate credits for two certification areas while in the WiscAd program.  St. Mary's will automatically transfer up to 12 credits to their 32 credit graduate program. A WiscAd student can complete the WiscAd program for administrator certification and opt to continue on to earn a Master's Degree through St. Mary's.  A Master's degree must be completed in order for eduCATE-WI to endorse a student for an administrative license.

For more information go to:

Q: Do I need a  Master's Degree prior to starting the program?

A: A Master's Degree must be obtained by the end of the WiscAd Program if pursuing certifications in School Business Administration, Principal, Director of Instruction, and/or Director of Special Education and Pupil Services.    If applying for Superintendent certification a  Master's Degree is required prior to starting the WiscAd Program and an Ed Specialist Degree or an equivalency (60 graduate credits) is required at the time of program completion.

If you currently hold a Master's degree (in any field) a second Master's degree is not required to completed the WiscAd program.

Q: Is there an additional cost to complete a second certification?

A:  Yes, there is an additional $3,000 cost to complete a second certification.  This cost is divided between three semesters: Semester I = $500, Semester II = $500, Semester IV = $2,000.


Q: Is financial aid available?

A: Financial Aid is available for WiscAd candidates through St. Mary's University for semesters in which credits are earned (Semesters I, II, III and optional IV). Financial aid comes in the form of a student loan; grants are not available to graduate level students.

Q: Does financial aid from St. Mary's University go directly to WiscAd for tuition fees?

A: The WiscAd candidate receives the financial aid refund check from St. Mary's and then pays eduCATE-WI with a check or credit card to pay for tuition. Students are wholly responsible for payment of program fees whether or not they choose to access a student loan.

Q: What do I need to submit to get accepted?

A:   Submit the following to the WiscAd office no later than the 1st of the month prior to the first semester (December 1 for January start, April 1 for May start, August 1 for September start):

  • A  Cover Letter which describes your interest in the program.
  • A  Transcript that provides evidence that you have obtained a Bachelor's Degree for those seeking certification in the areas of School Business Administrator, Director of Instruction, Director of Special Education and Pupil Services or Principal; and a Master's Degree for those seeking a Superintendent certification. Students must have obtained a 3.0 GPA. An unofficial copy of your transcript may be uploaded during the admissions process, however, you will need to request that an official transcript that includes the date your degree was conferred on must be sent by the University either through the mail or electronically through their parchment service to the WiscAd Program in order for you to be admitted to the program
    GPA Waiver Request:   The minimum GPA of 3.0 may be appealed if you have additional graduate work showing a higher GPA or other more recent evidence of likely success in the program. You will be required to provide a rationale during the application process.
  • A resume that includes relevant work experience.
  • Two Letters of Recommendation from employers/supervisors who can provide evidence to support your qualifications as a potential program participant assists are required.
  • Three years teaching experience verification and a copy of your educational license (verification form) for those seeking certification in the following areas: School Business Administrator (if a teaching license is held, if not, see below), Director of Instruction, Director of Pupil Services, Principal or Superintendent
  • Evidence of a workshop in the areas of Minority Group Relations and Conflict Resolution for those seeking licensure as School Business Administrators who do not hold a teaching license. These workshops are offered through our EdNova program.
  • A principal license if seeking the Superintendent certification.

Q: Can I complete the administrative practicum in the District I am working in?

A: Yes, as long as there is a cooperating administrator who holds the license area you are seeking is willing to work with you during your practicum.

Q: Can I complete the administrative practicum in the summer?

A: Yes.


Apply Now Request More Info